Slip and Falls accidents are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries.
After you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, there are usually more questions than answers.
You're probably wondering...
- "Should I sue?"
- "Who do I sue?"
- "How do I handle the medical bills?"
- "What do I do now for recovery?"
- "How long do I have to sue?"
These are all reasonable questions, and the right ones to ask. The Biker Lawyers are here to answer all of these and more.
What is a slip and fall case?
A slip and fall case happens when someone slips or falls due to someone else's negligence. There are many circumstances that may warrant a slip and fall case, but here are a few common examples:
- A poor architectural or landscaping design is unsafe for its purpose, such as slippery linoleum flooring near a pool. Designs that don't meet the appropriate safety codes are often responsible for a slip and fall case.
- The property owner failed to conduct appropriate maintenance, or the maintenance itself was unsafe. For example, a factory floor that was significantly overdue to be cleaned or repaired.
- After a reasonable amount of time, a property owner still has not addressed the unnatural build-up of snow or ice. This is a common kind of slipping accident and unfortunately, is easily preventable.
- Common locations for slip and fall cases include supermarkets, hotels, gyms, restaurants, shopping malls, and other public spaces. Accidents also happen outdoors on sidewalks, parking garages, playgrounds, and amusement parks. It should be noted that this is not an exhaustive list. Slips and falls can happen in any number of locations. The circumstances surrounding and leading up to the accident are far more relevant than the location itself.
Common injuries in a slip and fall accident
While any number of injuries can result from a slip or fall, some are more serious than others. The settlement that the injured party receives will vary depending on age, previous medical history, and the type of injury they sustained. Here are some common injuries that arise in a slip and fall case:
- Head injuries including brain damage, concussions, ongoing headaches or migraines, skull fractures, and more.
- Facial and dental injuries including a broken nose or jaw, torn or cut facial tissue, broken or chipped teeth, damage to the eyes, and any cosmetic damages to the face or teeth.
- Broken bones of any kind, at any severity. Broken hips and tailbones are especially common for slip and fall victims
- Dislocated joints, including pain and discomfort after being set back in place.
- Damage to the spinal cord or nervous system, including paralysis, loss of sensation, tremors, or any other concerns related to the nervous system that were not present before the accident.
Immediately after a slip or fall
In the moments, hours, and days following a slip and fall accident, the injured party's words and actions are incredibly important. Knowing what options and protections are available to you is a key part of your financial recovery. If you are injured, there are a few steps that you should and should not take in order to best protect your case and your opportunities for recovering damages. The Biker Lawyers are experts in slip and fall cases and know the right steps for you to take.
Your situation is unique so we want to provide the best answers possible. We don't believe in a cookie-cutter approach and want to hear your story so we can give you the best advice possible. We are experienced, prepared, and ready to help you today.